Tuesday 8 November 2016

“Please Hold” by Ciaran O’Driscoll (Molly)


My favourite poem is “Please Hold” by Ciaran O’Driscoll. I think it is such an accurate representation of society and how we are expected to behave. I also admire the sheer bluntness of the speaker, he adopted a robotic tone to mimic how society has become enslaved by technology and yet he has his own voice, his own thoughts and opinions. I’m always on my phone or my laptop so the poem made me think about how often I actually need to be doing this and how much technology has changed my life.  I find that the humorous tone and sarcasm make the poem more relatable, especially because I’m sarcastic for a majority of the time. Also, the ending of the poem made me empathise with the speaker, he is seriously concerned by how technology is taking over our lives and even though he tried to fight it, even he was tragically affected by technology. It was inevitable.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with your comments and with the fact that is an accurate representation of society. However, I'd be interested to know your thoughts and feelings on the 'wife' and how she adds to the poetic voice.

    ReplyDelete